make someone useless
让某人身体不舒服
Not getting enough sleep always makes me useless.
我睡眠不足都会身体不舒服。
jet lag
搭长途飞机产生的时差
I get jet lag for a week after traveling overseas.
我出国旅游之后一周都会有时差。
That’s easy for you to say!
你说得倒轻松!
Work harder? That’s easy for you to say!
要更努力工作?你用说的比较容易!
fun and games
轻松愉快的事
A: Life isn’t all just fun and games, you know.
生活不全然是轻松愉快,你知道的。
B: Don’t tell me stuff I already know.
我跟我说些我已经知道的事。
around the clock
全天候
What should I do if I’m about to run out of gas at midnight on my way home?
(如果我车子的油在半夜回家的路上快用完了该怎么办呢?)
Don’t worry! Plenty of gas stations offer services around the clock.
(别担心!很多加油站都提供二十四小时的服务。)
as right as rain
非常健康
How’s Sharon since her surgery last month?
(莎朗上个月开刀之后的状况如何?)
She’s as right as rain. I saw her the day before yesterday and she looked great.
(她身体相当健康。我前天看到她的时候她气色看起来很好。)
as slippery as an eel
奸诈狡猾
I’m hesitating whether to buy the computer from that salesman.
(我还在犹豫要不要跟那个售货员买计算机。)
Don’t trust him. He’s as slippery as an eel.
(别相信他。那家伙狡猾得很。)
above board
光明正大地
Our company imports drugs from America. The procedure is all perfectly above board.
(我们公司从美国进口药物。所有程序都是合法的。)
Hey, take it easy. I just want to know how many days it will take to import the goods.
(嘿,放轻松,我只是想知道货物进口需要几天的时间而已。)
at the end of one’s rope
失去耐性
I’m at the end of my rope with you. Are you coming with me or not?
(我对你失去耐性了。你到底要不要跟我一起去?)
Give me ten more minutes. I want to know how the show ends.
(再给我十分钟。我想知道这个节目的结局如何。)
at the eleventh hour
在最后一刻
Thank God, you’re here. I thought you might not be able to make it.
(感谢上帝,你终于来了。我还以为你到不了了。)
I looked everywhere to find my passport. Then I found it at the eleventh hour.